The international legal network
Aims and Objectives
The Aims and Objectives of the network are:
1. For members to be referred foreign commercial clients who wish to do business in their countries.
2. For members to keep existing commercial clients who need overseas referrals and who will go elsewhere if this resource is not provided.
3. To market member firms as having international commercial expertise and/or international connections.
4. For members to win new commercial clients who seek overseas referrals because the clients´ own lawyers do not have access to such international resources.
5. For members to be able to find out easily about local laws and trading practices abroad.
6. For members to exchange information about developments in areas of the law with cross-border interest ie trade, joint ventures, corporate acquisitions and investments.
7. For members to facilitate trainee exchange schemes.
8. For members to embrace the use of modern technology as a means of communication between members and the wider international business community and for member firms to demonstrate a strong web presence with their own website.
9. For members to meet the LAWorld Code of Practice established by the membership.
10. For members to be part of Regional Desks within LAWorld. There are four regional desks in Europe, North and Latin Americas. Members hold regional meetings within the Annual Conference and, from time to time, meet during the year and reports of their regional meetings are circulated to all members. These events encourage stronger friendships and collaboration between firms within a geographic region.
Eligibility for membership
11. Any firm of qualified lawyers anywhere in the world can apply for membership if it meets the membership criteria and there is a vacancy for that location/jurisdiction. LAWorld will accept membership of more than one firm from any one location/jurisdiction, where the LAWorld Committee believes that geographic or population factors would accommodate more than one member, or where existing members are or have become specialised, in which case complementary members may be invited to join.
12. Those who join this network commit themselves to take advantage of internet based technology and use it to improve communication with other members, actual or potential clients and other introductory sources.
Developing the network
The network will endeavour to create awareness amongst all members of other members´ areas of expertise. The nature of such programs will be determined by the members from time to time but include:
13. An Annual Conference, to which all members are expected to attend. This event is held every year in a different part of the world on a rotational basis ie Europe, Asia/Pacific, North and Latin Americas. The 2008 Conference was held in Dublin, 2009 Miami, 2010 Moscow, 2011 Beijing, 2012 Rio de Janeiro and 2013 will be held in Zurich.
14. Networking opportunities with other professionals around the world.
15. A web page on the internet within the LAWorld website (www.laworld.com) for each member firm - available for access by all members and prospective clients and linked to members´ own websites.
16. Inclusion within the LAWorld entry in Martindale-Hubbell International Law Directory.
17. LAWorld will work with the host firm to organise a business reception during Conference. This is an opportunity to allow members to meet and mix with potential international referrers and future clients. Invitations will be extended to Trade Organisations/Chamber of Commerce/Enterprise Agency representatives and members, Foreign Embassies representatives etc,
18. Membership Bulletins may be circulated between members to provide regular member information (including client activities and business opportunities).
19. To coincide with IBA Conferences, LAWorld members are helped by the Executive Office in arranging advance meetings with regional trade associations, chambers of commerce etc whose members may be interested in doing business via the LAWorld member firm.
20. Uniquely amongst international legal networks, LAWorld members have access to legal and commercial opportunities throughout China, as our associate group of 28 Chinese law firms cover the country.
21. A client newsletter, with common international legal news, may be distributed from time to time so that members have a marketing tool to distribute to clients and contacts promoting their extensive international legal credentials.
22. Each member shall pay the annual membership fee of USDollars 2,500 (pro rata in year of joining).
23. A once only joining fee of US Dollars 500 will be paid to contribute towards the expenses associated with a new firm joining our network.
24. The network is an informal association, ie an International Economic Interest Grouping.
25. Members do not normally specialise in just one area of law but rather provide a full range of legal commercial services in order to broadly satisfy clients´ needs.
26. Members of the Committee are appointed at each annual conference to run the affairs of the network. A Chair is elected for a term of 2 years. Within the Committee there is a Regional Director for Europe, North and Latin America and Asia/Pacific, all of whom are unpaid. The Committee has appointed an Executive Director who is responsible for the day-to-day activities and marketing of the network.
UPDATED APRIL 2012