John Braislin heads the firm’s Business Transactions practice area. His work on behalf of many of the firm’s corporate clients includes various types of business and real estate transactions. John is an experienced business attorney with over 30 years of practice devoted to the formation, development, and representation of corporations, partnerships, and other business entities.
He serves as general counsel to privately held or family-owned corporations and also represents national and international corporations with Pacific Northwest interests. John´s extensive background in business and real estate has enabled him to manage challenging projects involving multiple complex issues.
In 2006, he was voted by his peers to be included in Washington CEO magazine’s League of Justice. In 2007, he was also named a ‘Top Attorney’ in Business Law in Washington CEO magazine’s Top Washington 2007 Book of Lists.
- King County Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association rn
- Member, Corporate, Business, and Banking Section
- North Seattle Community College rn
- Member, Real Estate Technical Advisory Committee
- Willamette University, J.D. cum laude, 1971
- University of Washington, B.S., B.A., 1967
Representative Business Transactions
- Development of a resort hotel/lodge facility in Ketchikan, Alaska. This project involved real estate acquisition; the negotiation and documentation of equity funding; conventional construction and permanent financing; and the negotiation and documentation of management/operating contracts for the lodge involving an Alaska hotel chain. The lodge continues to operate successfully and has become a vacation destination in southeast Alaska.
- Acquisition of the northwest division of a national supermarket chain involving the purchase of approximately 40 retail supermarkets.
- Representation of developers of small hydroelectric projects in Washington and Alaska, including project development and financing.
- Representation of a multinational conglomerate in establishing product distribution in the United States, Canada, Mexico, and South America, including related intellectual property and financial issues.
- Representation of Taiwan based manufacturing company in establishing a base of operations in the United States through acquisition of real estate holdings in the Northwest.
- Negotiation, documentation, and resolution of a multimillion dollar tax liability and related issues arising out of Alaska Native NOL transactions.
- Representation of an institutional lender in a residential low-income housing transaction involving issuance of tax-free revenue bonds by the Seattle Housing Authority.
- Assisted Seattle based private real estate investment firm in building and expanding its portfolio of commercial, multi-family residential, retail, and industrial properties in the Northwest and Southern California, having a total value in excess of $100 million.
- Represented seller in structuring, documenting and closing a $10 million sale of a Seattle based wholesale distribution and engineering service business serving Washington, Oregon, Alaska, Idaho, Utah and portions of Wyoming, Montana and Nevada.
- Assisted major wireless communications company with the assimilation of over 75 partnership entities following acquisition of regional wireless company serving mountain time zone states.
- Assisted Seattle based family-owned regional wholesale distributor in transitioning business ownership to third generation. The company has been continuously operated under family ownership and control for over one hundred years.
- Represented large Seattle medical office with sale of its eastside branch practice to new ownership.
- Represented Seattle based investment firm in structuring new entities to provide private financing to contractors in connection with the clean-up and reconstruction of New Orleans and other storm damaged areas of the gulf coast.
- Advised Seattle based garment industry firm in structuring business relationships and strategic alignments with manufacturers located in Korea and the Philippines.
- Recently completed multiple commercial real estate acquisitions, IRC Section 1031 exchanges and mortgage financing transactions in excess of $50 million.